Kaleidoscope

Wednesday, June 16, 2004


We are going to join the Garden Club
You know you have officially arrived into the smug married club when you are no longer individually invited out for drinks or a road trip, but rather you are invited as a couple to toddler birthday parties, anniversary dinners and the neighborhood garden club.

Our invitation took place against the back drop of an accident on the street parallel to ours. Around 10 PM last night we got a call from Greg's sister. She was calling to check and make sure we were both home safe and sound (Yes, she is the best sister-in law there could ever be). So, Greg and I had to go out and see what was going on. It is really beginning to look like we have become a boring, nosey married couple rather than a smug married couple.

While we were looking around, we struck up a conversation with a woman who lives in our neighborhood. I do not really remember how we went from discussing the accident to discussing gardening, but some how we did and ultimately we were invited to join the garden club in September. I answered for Greg and I, so I am sure I will be the one who has to go to the events. I think it will be a good thing if not for us, for our yard. We pass houses in our neighborhood that are proudly adorned with signs that read "Yard of the Month" and I have to say I get a little envious. I want to be the yard master of the month!!! So, we will join the garden club and I know we will find out that we destroyed some rare and beautiful plant that took years to grow. Greg and I are not expert gardeners- yet, and we have gone a little crazy with the Roundup. If it was not a flower, or we could not name the plant, we killed it. I am not sure what our neighbors really think, although Greg and I think we should get "Most Improved Yard" because what was out of control when we bought the house is now killed, cut down or under control. We are really getting somewhere now.

Greg convinced me to let him cut down the butterfly bushes.. yes I said beautiful, purple, and somewhat healthy butterfly bushes. So, I have to convince him to cut down the holly bushes. They are blocking the sun from some purple flowers that look a lot like daisies.... No, I am not sure what they are. I should probably look those up..... I clearly need to be joining the garden club so I can learn that poison ivy is not considered good ground cover and those wild strawberries growing in the yard would not be good to eat. I think I need to invest in "Gardening for Dummies". Has that book been written yet? If not, it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home