Kaleidoscope

Wednesday, May 19, 2004


The Bert Show
For most people who live in the ATL, you know what I am talking about when I say, The Bert Show. I am one of the devoted Atlantains who has become hooked on Q100 and The Bert Show. I was always listening to AM Sports Radio, NPR and so forth until I fell hook, line, and sinker for The Bert Show. Just ask my husband, or many of my friends. I can not tell you how many of my conversations have started off with, "I was listening to The Bert Show this morning,....". I am afraid they will have to stay on air forever, or my mornings will be ruined. They even make the drunken Crash Clark, who does the traffic reports (bless him) look good.

Why The Bert Show today? Well, because they decided to call a hotel in Iraq this morning just as I was getting to the office and I can not pick the station up in my office. This is very disturbing to me, I tell you. Just to add insult to injury I do not have a sound card on my machine either.

I may, at times not agree with everything they may say, but this is such a great morning show. Bert, Melissa, Jeff and Jen Javey. I am not really sure why they call Jen by her first and last name when they do not do that with the rest of the gang. That is something I will have to ask them when I finally meet them face to face. They are fabulous though! A morning show with integrity. They save racey things for when the kids are safely in class and away from the radio, they are not known for putting people down or making fun. They still have fun and crack me up though.

The segment this morning was really intersting. Bert brought up a point that I am sure most of us think about when it comes to the war in Iraq. We hear about the bombings and the terrible things that are going on over there. But what about the good things that are going on? What about the people who do thank out soliders for their dedication and help? I would love to hear more about that. Through the grapevine I hear from families who have loved ones there and say that there are people who are thankful for their efforts and dedication to freedom. Bert was not saying that the citizens of Iraq were grateful or not grateful. He was merely looking for an example either way. And I do not even know if he got it.

The bigger picture that I got from this is the fragileness of our own natures. As "The People" we are somewhat removed from the politics of the situation. If you strip away our skin, or policaital alliences and ideology, we are the same in so many ways. I sit here at my computer wondering the same things that people in Iraq might be wondering. Things like, will there be peace, will we be friends or foes, and where does this end? When have we gone as far as we need to go? We wonder about them, they wonder about us. If we were to all meet face to face, would we silently consider one another for a moment? Who would be the first to smile or wave? Would we have a better understanding of each other at the end of the day? I wonder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home