Kaleidoscope

Thursday, April 08, 2004

Take Me Out To The Ball Game... But please do not remind me of what I missed.....

I know opening day has passed, but for me it was yesterday. Greg and a group of his buddies have had season tickets to Braves baseball games for a number of years now, so we go to several games a year. I have been a Braves fan for as long as I can remember. I go back to the days of Dale Murphy and the baby blues. So, one of the things Greg and I have always shared is our love for the Braves. But if you make us go toe to toe in trivia, he will beat me every time. The man is like a human Braves Trivia database.

After work last night we made our way through lighter Atlanta traffic then I expected and found our seats. It was a great night for baseball. In fact, it was a perfect night for baseball. No clouds had rolled in yet, low humidity and a light enough breeze to keep you comfortable. These are days that I live for.

The game did not start off strong, but I will save the play by play and say that the Braves came out strong. They won 10 to 18. Almost sounds like the score of a football game. They were playing the Mets, who I have never cared much for and care even less for because they now have Tom Glavine, who WAS once one of my favorite Braves starting pitchers.

I feel that as a Braves fan, I have only faltered one time and that was many years ago. If anyone knows the Cinderella story of the Braves going to the World Series in 1992 then you may know where you were when "Sid Slid". ESPN has listed this as the fourth great defining moment in Baseball history. And this is something that Greg takes great pleasure in teasing me about at least once a year and I do pray that no one ever asks me on "Braves Vision" where I was when Sid Slid. Very unfortunate for me, I was asleep on my couch when Sid Slid. I had been watching the game with my dad and I was still in high school at the time. It was very late and way past my bedtime. So, Sid Slid and my dad went nuts and I woke up to the Braves celebration. I did see the instant reply though. Yes, I know that is not the same thing. But I think I can be forgiven for that, seeing as I was a fan back in the day when people only went to games to see Dale Murphy play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home