Kaleidoscope

Monday, April 05, 2004

Loving where I live

I always imagined when I married, that I would have the sweet house, with a dog, a yard, flowers and cookouts with my neighbors. Well, we are almost there. Greg and I spent much of the weekend doing house work and some much needed yard work. Of, course all worked stopped so that Greg could see Georgia Tech win Saturday night. My dear Greg went to Tech and against my better judgment, I married him anyway...... Just kidding. I cheer for Tech too, just not when they play Georgia.:)

Greg has been wanting to get rid of some irises in the front yard. There is no rhyme or reason to their placement. It was just a half circle and it has been over grown by weeds. I wanted to pot some of them for the deck, and give some away, so I started what began as a very daunting task. We have not purchased a lot of the necessary gardening tools yet, but I do have a hand shovel and hand rank. So, I started to work.

I was taking as much care as possible with the irises and preparing the new pots for them, when I realized that I had been working for an hour and a half and I had barely put a dent in the tasks. I just knew this was going to take me more then that afternoon to complete. And I did not have all afternoon any, since we were cooking out with some friends that night and I still needed to marinate the steaks. Lots to do......

Thankfully, my neighbors across the street saw what I was up to. The wife came over and offered to let me use some of her gardening tools. she also let me know how hard it is to kill irises, so I took a lot less care with them after that. She totally made my day! What would have take me another good day, took one more hour with the tools she gave me and the help from Greg. I have determined that I have the best neighbors in the world! I even got to catch up with what was going on with a couple of more of neighbors which was good too. I have not ventured out yet to meet everyone, which is something I really plan to do. We still have a lot we are trying to do to the house and I am afraid that everyone will want to see it. They will have to see that I have turned the dining room into my office/storage room. The real office is just an extension of storage and that I have not done a thing to decorate the kitchen. It is painted, so it does look good, it just needs some flare. We are just not ready to enter into Southern Living- not yet at least.

So, our front yard is iris free and I am getting to know my neighbors a little more. I can also say that I have the cute house that goes along with the handsome husband and perfect puppy.... Well, that is when she is not barking at the neighbors..... I love where I live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home