Kaleidoscope

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Adventures in Home Ownership

Greg and I have started on a new project at home. We have decided to replace the interior doors. We believe the ones in the house now are the original doors. They are the flat, hollow, painted a dozen times doors. One door in particular has been a thorn in our side and that is the office door. We have come to realize that the frame is not completely straight. And to make matters worse, it was peeling from the bottom and our dear sweet dog was bored one day and decided to all but destroy it. Greg came home from work to find shreds of the door all over the hall floor. So, that door just has to go.

When we were looking for a house, we did a lot of research on the financial side and we got a lot of good advice, so we felt that we knew what we were doing on that end of things. Since neither of us know a lot about home repairs or remodeling, we decided we would learn all of that later. Besides, how hard could removing wallpaper really be? Thankfully, we bought a structurally sound house, because the cosmetics are what is killing us.

All along the way we have been coming to stumbling blocks. We went right to work after closing on the house. We started pulling up carpet to reveal the beautiful hardwoods, just to find that two of the most important rooms in the house do not have hardwoods under the carpet; the dining room and living room. So, we are going to pick out our own. We also thought we could take all of the wallpaper off in a couple of days. We were wrong about that too. It took about two months to have it all down, smooth and prime the walls, but now all of the walls are beautifully painted and we are very happy with them. So, now we are replacing doors. Did you know that in the 1960's a standard interior door was 29 3/4 in. wide? And that standard has now changed to 30 in? Yes, we now have doors that do not fit. So, we are taking a step back and we are going to do more research and ask more questions.

I love to read Better Homes and Gardens especially now that I own a home. I am always so amazed at what people do with their homes. The creativity and ambition is inspiring. There are some very talented people out there. I see some of the things they start with and I can not believe the vision they have. So many times I think, "Wow! How did they ever do that? Is that really the same house?" And then I realize they took the opportunity to make that house their own. So, that is the outlook I want to have with our house. I want to look at every obstacle as an opportunity to do something great. And fortunately for me, I heard on the radio while I was on my way into work that "The Money Pit" was coming on TV tonight on the WE network. That is great! I can see how Tom Hanks gets out of his jams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home