Kaleidoscope

Monday, August 29, 2005

Recalculation

Today marks one week since the funeral of dear friend of mine. He was a member of the same board I serve on, he was well respected, a devoted and loving husband and father, a hard worker and dear to everyone who knew him. He was also very young. One month before his 40th birthday, he died of a massive heart attack. The news came as a huge shock and rattled each of the members of our circle with tremendous grief and force. I had spoken with him a day before his death and we had tasks agreed upon that we were doing, his tasks he would never get to and it is with sadness that I pick up the activities that we set out to do.

After the funeral I was due to drive to Columbia, South Carolina. The long drive gave me a long time to think. And unfortunately I should not be left alone with my thoughts like this often. As my mind wandered to what the next few weeks would be like as I tried to adjust to no longer having my friend, I realized that if something happened to me on this trip, Greg would be left with a lot of unknowns and loose ends. We have a will that has yet to be finalized, he does not know where all of my paper work is on accounts, insurance, etc. And I realized that I am still putting things off until tomorrow.

There is more to this though than grief. There is energy and life left for me to tap into. We are not guaranteed tomorrow, but we have today. And with today comes the energy of life within us and that surrounds us. There are people in my life that I am so drawn to because of their vitality and spirit. They are examples of me of how to look at each day. It is so easy to fall into the rut of life that I seem to have found. I have passion for my work, but when it comes to sitting down and putting words into creating stories I seem to have laid that down at times. But I draw inspiration from the friends and family I know who give off that positive force, because I know that I can get that back as well. So I am reminded of life and the beauty of it. I am reminded that when I wake in the morning I have a day to do my best, to be my best, to push myself to the limit and see how much further I can go.

And positive reminders of life I seem to receive often. Saturday evening was my ten year high school reunion and it was a grand time. I had a chance to see people I have not seen since our five year reunion. I got to catch up with friends I only see every couple of months and friends whom I only see now if I happen to be in town and bump into them, or at our reunions. I left that night really excited about seeing the friends I spent some great years with. We reconnected, I caught up with their lives, and I was excited to see that my friends were happy. They married wonderful people, most of them have adorable children and all seemed glad that we could get together once again. We even agreed that we would like to do this every five years. So it looks like I will have another reunion to look forward to in the years to come.

I pushed on through this day which was busy because it is a Monday and Mondays are always crazy for me, even when I am prepared and I made the most of it. Greg and I worked out upper body today so I was on edge and ready to tackle some things. All in all it was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home