Kaleidoscope

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Just Running Away

Have you ever stopped one day and thought about how life just seems to run away from you? Fall has always been a time of the year that I think I become more reflective, more adventurous and more reminiscent.

Football season (Fall) reminds me of going to Falcons games with my dad and cheerleading in high school. It also reminds me of Friday afternoons when one of my college roommates and I did not have class so we watched movies and took naps on her futon.

I am not sure why all of this came to me this morning, but it did. Greg had just left for work and I was finishing my make-up. I took one last look at myself in the mirror and I realized that I was changing so much. When I think of what I look like, I think of the girl who always had a ponytail with a bow in her hair. But then I look in the mirror I see someone different, yet familiar. She has a more slender face now. She looks as though she has stayed up too late some nights. She looks as though she has had some days she would like to forget, but if I look in her eyes I see that she carries the memory of many, many days that she is thankful for and would relive all over again.

Not that every day is perfect, but I am not exactly a person who should complain about anything. I married a man I am not sure I deserve some days, I have a job that I love, a nephew who smiles at me, a sister who thinks of me almost every minute of every day, a mother who has been a true example and inspiration to my life, a brother who has discovered that his sister is pretty cool and does love him, friends who would drop everything in their life to help me, and some great stories. If there was one thing that I could have that I do not, is for time to slow down. But, like the saying goes, time flies when you are having fun. So, I guess I am having a lot of fun.

My ten year high school reunion is coming up next year. Even though ten years does not sound like a long time, it is just over a third of my life. It is hard to believe that yesterday I was 17 and today I am 27. Did I pack as much into those years as I could? Is there a secret to slowing down time? How many days could I really go without any sleep?

The questions of the ages.... I ask them now and a hundred years from now, someone will ask them again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home