Kaleidoscope

Monday, July 19, 2004

I feel like I am in junior high again
 
If you were to look at an aerial view of the junior high school I went to, you would see a larger H  as the main halls and a smaller square in the middle that held the court yard. That is a lot like where I am right now.
 
I have been working at my new company for  six weeks and my director brought me to Charlotte, NC for one of our regional staff meetings. The regional office here has 50 team members and all of the offices surround a large file room, break room and conference room. Since I will have to come to this office from time to time, I have been set up in an office to use when I am here, which is pretty cool. I got a brief tour as my director brought me around to meet everyone before of meeting, and it reminded me of the tour that the 7th and 8th graders gave to in coming 6th grades before I started junior high.
 
One very important thing my director forgot to mention, and I forgot to as about was where the ladies room is. I figured out the breakroom so I could put my bottled water in the fridge, but the restrooms, I swear are hidden away. I am really not kidding. There are a couple of short hallways that branch off from the main perimeter and I have been lost twice today. It appears to be some form of initiation because they have a new employee that just started today and she has aimlessly walked the hallways as well. I think I figured out the trick though. The first time I was lost, I looked lost. I was walking slowly, and craning my head into every hallway and door that I passed. So, of course everyone will be nice and try and direct you to where you need to go. Well, I did not want to look lost again, so the second time I just confidently walked around the entire perimeter, passed my office twice and said good afternoon to the receptionist for the eighth time today. But, I did not look lost and I not only know where the ladies room is now, I know the shortest way to the ladies room, then back through the break room to grab a bottle of water and then through the conference room so I may say hello to the group who is meeting on new marketing materials, before I finally make it back to my office.... Yup, I am slick.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home