Kaleidoscope

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Forever an "Afterglow"....

I have been one fortunate lady these days when it comes to music I enjoy. I was able to go to the symphony this past weekend and last night I saw Sarah McLachlan in concert. Eleven years ago I introduced my sister to Sarah. Now at the time I am not sure she was all that excited about it. Possession was the first CD of Sarah's that I ever had and we listened to it every day on the way to school. Yes, I said every day. My sister had no say in what we listened to in my car. As far as I was concerned she was lucky that she did not have to ride the bus. Eleven years later she is playing Sarah for her infant son and giving me tickets to her concert. You can wear some people down I suppose.

From the very first time I ever heard her voice I was hooked the way our mothers were hooked on Etta James. The gift of gentle truth in her words that puts your own heart on display has always been alluring to me. Her songs have been bookmarks in my mind for my loves of the past, my passions in life and my devotion to the love of my life. Where I have a hard time finding the words to say, Sarah offers the words in songs like Fallen, Sweet Surrender, and Push.

The melodies in her music seem to make the words just sing off the page. So many of her songs are a part of memories in my life, high school graduation, lazy days on my balcony in college, and my wedding day.

There are so many things I think of when I listen to her CD's. There were the morning of total high school senoiridous, when three of my girlfriends and I could not stand the thought of going into school, so we would listen to "Ice Cream" to pick us up before we stuck our nose in the books and left our laughter at our lockers.

Years later, those songs still evoke the same emotions and remind me of the many joys I have that are all part songs from Sarah.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home