Kaleidoscope

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Are you getting ready for school???
 
My mother and mother-in-law, along with several of my friends are teachers. I have noticed while talking with them over the last week that they hear the school bells ringing right now. School days will be here again and very soon.
 
I so clearly remember what it was like to get ready for school. My parents would take me to school to meet my teacher. We would get a list of school supplies which usually included boxes of Kleenex, glue, ruler, and lined paper. I remember how exciting it was to pick out my school box, the pens I would use, and I will never think of school without thinking about my first Trapper Keeper. My first Trapper Keeper was red. It had a place for a pen, a tablet of lined paper and four folders; yellow, green, blue, and red. I was ready to be head of the class.
 
My career has somewhat become school in a full time sense for me, so I do not "get ready" for school anymore, I am in school year round now. Some things have not changed though. I still walk through the aisles where the new school supplies are and I usually buy a new notebook to write stories in or maybe pencils with my name on them. I will not be shopping for new "school" clothes or getting a new pair of sneakers, but I will watch the kids in our neighborhood wait for the bus and see their parents wave as the bus pulls away and remember my own school days with a great big smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home