Tuesday, July 04, 2006

That is not a baby! That is a 15 pound bowling ball

I may have become the ultimate bad mommie before my baby is even born. I failed the hour glucose test and somehow managed to pass the three hour test to my surprise as well as my doctor's. Given my history with low blood sugar issues, I was warned that it would creep up again when I had children. Honestly I did not believe it. I have had a relatively easy pregnancy from the start and generally I do not have health issues anyway so I feel as though I am ten feet tall and bullet proof.

Well, it turns out I am not ten feet tall and bullet proof, however my son might be. I started my two week appointments last week and the midwife I was seeing measured the enormous mound of a belly I have now and said, "Well, dear you are now measuring two weeks ahead." I did not like the sound of that because four weeks before that I was measuring one week ahead, now two. That could not be good.

Then, our little guy decided that he did not want anyone to find his heartbeat. Before I could feel him, that made me a little nervous, but he had just been doing flips before I came into the examining room so I was sure he was still kicking it in there. From what I have gathered babies do not like that Doppler used to check their heartbeat. Now that I know what that swishing sound is, I feel a little bad. My little man was running from that gel coated instrument that was trying to let us hear his tiny heart race. Poor guy. So, the midwife found his heartbeat about three inches below my breast plate which made her think he was breech. Great, that is just great. I knew he was trying to tell me something when he kept kicking me around when I laid on my left side. He was flipping over and trying to get back into his natural position was all I could think.

So, another ultra sound was going to be done. I was excited and sad at the same time. Absolutely excited at the thought of seeing my son again, but sad because Greg was not there to see it too. The ultra sound began and I was so shocked at how different he looked. At one time you could see his entire body on the screen. Now his head took up the whole screen. He was flailing his hands around his ears so I felt bad for him because I knew he was not enjoying this as much as I was.

The first thing I noticed about him was that his profile no longer looked anything like me. Greg and I had compared the images from the first couple of ultra sounds and his profile looked somewhat like me. When I saw his profile this last time the first thing I thought was I was going to give birth to a little Greg. There was no doubt about that.

The second thing I realized that he was big. He had been measuring at 50% which was right where he should be. He was now measuring 75%, however he was not breech. I was happy about that. His estimated weight was 5 lbs 12 ounces..... I really did not think that could be. I still had 8 weeks to go. To add to the mix, I had increase fluid. Well, isn't this just great? I knew my blood pressure, which had stayed normal would certainly raise now.

So, it looks like I am going to give birth to King Kong. My stars, he is going to come out smoking and slapping the nurse around. After talking with my midwife, we are going to closely monitor this little guy for now. In four weeks we will do another ultra sound and start talking about a new birthing plan. Thanks to my issues with processing sugar, I may not have to carry him to the end of August and well that would be just fine with me. Besides, I am getting really hot now and maternity clothes are beginning to fit way too snuggly for me.

Now, I think I will have another Dr. Pepper and start picking out his going home outfit.


Post a Comment

<< Home