Kaleidoscope

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

All I Could Say Was....Hi

I never thought that I would ever be one of those people who gets star struck. Well, I am.

Last Thursday night my mom and I went to the Atlanta Press Club, Annual Author's Party. I thought since I want to be a writer when I grow up, I better spend my time among those who write. The biggest draw I had to the party was that it was going to be at the Carter Center and that Jimmy Carter was going to be there. All politics aside, I have a great deal of respect for him, and for his family. I have read several of his works and I admire him greatly.

A few years ago, my grandfather gave me the book commemorating his Presidency. He thought it would be something nice for me to have since I was born the year he became president. I decided this would be the perfect time for him to sign it. Plus, I wanted to get "The Hornets Nest" to give to my dad for Christmas.

The evening started off just great. There was exotic food. I mean exotic because they had caviar and I do not eat that. Mom persuaded me to try it though and it was not that bad. I have just never been a fan. So, while I was standing in line, waiting to get a drink to wash down the exotic food, two secret service agents walked right by me. Following them, were President and Mrs. Carter. I was so excited.... Mrs. Carter looked me right in the eye and said, "Hi, thanks for being here." All of a sudden, I forgot how to speak! I just looked like a little freshman girl who just spoke to the senior she had a crush on for the first time. Hilarious! Mrs. Carter must have thought I was crazy.

Mom and I bought some books and made our way to the enormous line. The lined moved really fast! That was both good and bad. Good, because it did not take all night, bad because the Carters were only signing their names. No personalizing was allowed. So, mom and I made our way to the front of the line and I got to take a picture of President Carter. That was exciting. Then, he signs dad's book and he signs mine. When he saw what the book was, he There were a million things I had always thought I would like to say. I did not say any of them, except, "Thank you, for all that you do." That did not really bring across the respect I have for him, but some how I am hoping that he could see that I was in awe of the great man that sat in front of me.

Gush! Gush! I know, I am a total sap!

The evening was great though! Mom and I did some people watching which is always fun at events like this and we caught conversations here and there. We both loved it!

I also got to select the book, that my book club will read in January. A small group of my friends and I have formed a book club and each month someone hosts the meeting and selects the book. I am to select January's book. Fortunately, I think we are going to start off the year with a great book. Haywood Smith, is a very colorful writer and a delight to meet in person. She was also at the Author's Party. She has written a book called "The Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch". It is about a woman, who's husband spent $200,000.00 on a striper and then became engaged to her..... looked up and said "Thanks." With a great big smile on his face. Hmmm..... Could she know something about this? So, to the Pages Book Club, get ready to laugh! And to anyone who is looking for a great book to bring you some chuckles, check this one out! And if you like that, then you will love, "The Red Hat Club".

Here is to great books and just plain inspiration!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home