Kaleidoscope

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Napkin Notes

I am sitting at my desk, having some left over spaghetti and I just thought of something my mom did when I was a kid. I did not always like to eat lunch room food, although I never thought it was bad. I think the thing that attracted me the most to lunches from home was the note that my mom always wrote on my napkin. And it never failed. It does not matter how busy she was, when she made my lunch she always wrote a note on it. If I had a test before lunch the note might say something like "Don't you feel better now that you have taken your test?" If the test was after lunch she always wrote "Good Luck." I was a cheer leader in middle and high school so the day of a game she would write things like "Go Dawgs", "We're Number 1", stuff like that. Now, my birthdays, those were special. Mom had a secret stack of birthday napkins, so if it was my birthday she would stick a special napkin in my lunch and she always signed it "xoxo, mom". That was my favorite part of lunch. It never matter what was in the lunch, I always looked forward to her notes. I use to keep them too, although I am not sure where they are now. I did have a box full of napkin notes at one time. They always made me smile. I love to think about writing napkin notes for my kids too. Who knows what it will be like when I do have kids. I will probably be sending them text messages. I am not so sure I will be able to get away with napkin notes by the time I have school aged kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home